[Slackbuilds-users] info files on submitted packages

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Thu Sep 3 10:29:21 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:42:02AM -0500, Robby Workman wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:23:44 +0300
> "Grigorios Bouzakis" <grbzks at xsmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It has come to my attention that the sumbitted scripts for packages
> > that install info files in /usr/info, common mostly in GNU tools,
> > but not limited to those don't add entries to the /usr/info/dir
> > file which makes autocompletion fail.
> >
> > AFAIK Pat ships a custom dir file making sure that the entries there
> > reflect the packages part of Slackware. But if you install others
> > the dir file isn't updated, at least not for the ones i've checked
> > available on SBo.  I don't know what other implications this has,
> > since i don't use the info files much.  But i have 3 packages
> > installing one, msmtp, gtypist & ratpoison, & autocompletion fails
> > for them all.
> >
> > To deal with this there could be something like the following in
> > doinst.sh:
> >
> > install-info /usr/info/$package.info $/usr/info/dir 2> /dev/null
> >
> > that adds the entry to the dir file. Most tools in SBo don't have
> > multiple info files like it happens for example with a2ps in
> > Slackware.
> >
> > Of course that entry will stay there even if the custom installed
> > package is unistalled. It would need something like
> > install-info --delete /usr/info/$package.info $/usr/info/dir 2> /dev/null
> > but Slackware doesnt have a way to do that automatically upon package
> > removal.
> >
> > Maybe it would be worth adding an entry to the doinst.sh in the
> > template.SlackBuild?
> > Thoughts?
>

> If (and that *is* an *if*) we do this, we would need to do it in a
> way that's alternate-root safe.  Hypothetically speaking, if we do
> it, what happens *when* a package is removed and info's dir file
> still has entry in it?  Does it simply enable autocompletion of a
> now nonexistent file(name), or does it cause any actual problems?
>
> FWIW, I'm wondering all of this while (again) cursing the idea
> that texinfo is somehow superior to mandoc.  Sheesh.
>
> -RW

I just submitted an update for ratpoison containing a doinst.sh script
that installs the info file in dir.
I dont know if you're gonna accept it as it is.
Like i said before i dont read info pages. Ever. So i don't really care
if this gets added or whatever.
But IMO it doesnt do any harm. Worst case scenario, after package removal
you get "Unable to find node referenced by `ratpoison' in `(dir)Top'."
when you select ratpoison from the dir catalogue.

If you mean to remove package and/or the info file from /usr/info/dir
later, you need to run:
install-info --delete /usr/info/ratpoison.info.gz /usr/info/dir
*before* removing the package. install-info(1) has all the details :)

--
Greg