[Slackbuilds-users] AUCTeX fails at configure step: Can't find LaTeX!

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Wed Sep 16 20:44:39 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have two Slackware 13.0 installations, and have TeXLive 2008 on my
workstation and teTeX installed on a laptop.  I have had no problems
installing AUCTeX  on the workstation, but on the laptop the
installation fails at the configure step checking for LaTeX.  latex is
in /usr/bin (in my user and root PATHs), and so 'whereis latex ' returns

latex: /usr/bin/latex /usr/X11R6/bin/latex /usr/bin/X11/latex
/usr/X11/bin/latex /usr/man/man1/latex.1 /usr/man/man1/latex.pdf
/usr/share/man/man1/latex.1 /usr/share/man/man1/latex.pdf
/usr/X11/man/man1/latex.1 /usr/X11/man/man1/latex.pdf

as it should.

I used to have this problem when installing R, and corrected it by
putting /usr/share/texmf/bin in root's PATH.  However, since removing
teTeX and installing TeXLive, I have had no problems.

How does configure check for LaTeX?

Thanks,

Joel

Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj