[Slackbuilds-users] postgresql

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 18:04:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Adis Nezirovic <adis at linux.org.ba> wrote:

> Preserving mode for existing scripts is OK, but I personally think that
> the default for new scripts should be 0644. Admin should run chmod +x
> manually.

I don't disagree that the Admin is ultimately responsible for making sure
it's correctly configured, but I don't agree that the admin should be forced
to do everything manually (especially things that could be so trivially
scripted) as a general policy. IMHO, sane automation of the configuration
(such as adopting the same permissions as the version being replaced) are
preferable. This is especially useful in systems where the updates might be
happening unattended.

(Of course, in the absence of automation 0644 is a better default than
0755.)