[Slackbuilds-users] Slackware release?

Didier Spaier didier.spaier at epsm.fr
Thu Apr 8 15:42:53 UTC 2010

Murat D. Kadirov wrote:
> On 08.04.2010 19:29, Marco Cecchetti wrote:
>>
>> 2010/4/8 Eric Hameleers <eha at alienbase.nl <mailto:eha at alienbase.nl>>
>>
>>     On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Morten Juhl-Johansen [ISO-8859-1] Zölde-Fejér
>>     wrote:
>>
>>         Today, I was talking to the people behind Gajim.
>>         They say that their upcoming release requires a newer version
>>         of GTK2
>>         than Slackware provides. And I got to thinking - I have seen
>>         quite a
>>         lot of activity on the changelog; is there a feeling of a new
>>         release
>>         in the works?
>>
>>         Yours,
>>         Morten
>>

>>     Newer than Slackware-current provides (gtk+-2.18.7)?
>>
>>     There is always activity in the Slackware ChangeLog. Until
>>     messages start appearing like "this is Release Candidate 1" the
>>     entries in the ChangeLog are no indicator for an upcoming new release.
>>
>>     Cheers, Eric
>>
>>     --
>>     Eric Hameleers
>>     Email: alien at slackware.com <mailto:alien at slackware.com>
>>     Jabber: alien at jabber.xs4all.nl <mailto:alien at jabber.xs4all.nl>
>>     Gpg fingerprint: F2CE 1B92 EE1F 2C0C E97E  581E 5E56 AAAF A75C BDA0
>>
>>     The two basic principles of Windows system administration:
>>     * For minor problems, reboot
>>     * For major problems, reinstall
>>
>> About gtk slightly OT only by proposal
>>
>> It looks LXDE is actively developed. Since Alien BOB maintains a
>> repository for the packages, and that DE looks consistent with the
>> slackware stylish essentiality I think it would be great to have it
>> officialy included for future releases of Slackware.
>> regards,
>> --
>> Marco Cecchetti
>
> My 2 cents about future release :) ..may be it is time upgrade audacious
> from 1.5.1 to 2.3 version?

For once, let me add noise to the rumor ;)

I wouldn't mind to wait for 2.6.34, as a lot of things are cooking in the drivers/gpu/drm area and I'm interested as far as nouveau is in concern... But let's not be too egocentric, radeon users will benefit of changes as well ;)

Ah, and upgrade of xorg-server to 1.8.0 will be welcome as well - though yes, I understand that a lot of HAL files could need to be rewritten as UDEV rules or /etc/X11/xorg.d configuration files so may be we'll have to wait for the next train...

Just my 1/2 cent (en français on pourrait dire : juste mon demi sou)

Didier