[Slackbuilds-users] Script Question:

LukenShiro lukenshiro at ngi.it
Fri Dec 10 14:13:37 UTC 2010

Il giorno Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:44:02 +0200
Ozan Türkyılmaz <ozan.turkyilmaz at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> I'm working on a bulid script for PyPar2, A GUI for par2cmdline. It's
> a pure phyton prıgram without any
> kind of binary file. Now It wants to install to $PREFIX/share/PyPar2
> and create a symbolic link to $PREFIX/bin.
> Now $PREFIX/share feels wrong to me but I can't think of other place
> to put. What's the other's comment on the situation.

Looking at pypar2-1.4.tar.gz there are some critical situations to be
considered here:
- package is pretty old (2007), so chances to be updated by upstream are
  few.
- it uses Makefile, instead of relying on distutils (setup.py), etc...
- modules are supposed to be installed in /usr/share/pypar2/src (and
  not in /usr/<libdir>/python2.6/site-packages/), imported by main.py,
  and executable is a symbolic link to main.py.

To make a long story short: to "standardize" such a package (moving to
site-packages, etc..) is not worth the effort, IMHO.
If I'm not missing somewhat obvious, I'd keep Makefile as you find it
in .tar.gz, just replacing MANDIR and using make install with DESTDIR
and prefix=/usr. HTH.

--
GNU/Linux * Slackware64 current
LU #210970 SU #12583 LM #98222/#412913