[Slackbuilds-users] Web stats?

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Fri Dec 17 13:47:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:38:24 -0400
B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:

> A thought... Have been looking at some of the builds I submitted for
> 13.0 that didn't make it into the 13.1 repo (mostly because they need
> to be patched for 13.1's newer gcc). Going through them, patching,
> will eventually be resubmitting them, but I can't help but wonder
> whether some of the more niche-market ones are even being used

I've never seen anyone complain that the site has too many scripts.

> - A lot of users rsync the whole tree, and when they want to build
> something, just untar their copy of whatever.tar.gz from their local
> tree.

Indeed. Approx. 9/10ths of our outgoing bandwidth is rsync data. There's
no realistic way to filter out what's being downloaded for the purposes
of build/install/use.

> - "Number of times downloaded" doesn't really tell us whether the
> downloaders are still using the package (they might have tried it,
> decided it's awful, removed it within 5 minutes).

Maybe sbopkg could include an "opt-in" option that sends some anonymous
usage data back to their site. That's just an idea, but it's probably
as close as anyone is going to get to a real, useful counter.

--
Erik Hanson