[Slackbuilds-users] pixbuf - redundant?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 11:19:40 UTC 2010

On 12/29/10, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> I won't swear to this, but I believe the gdk-pixbuf2 in Slackware
> is gtk+2's gdk-pixbuf, while the gdk-pixbuf we have at SBo is
> for gtk+ (gtk *1*), so there's no conflict.

Looks that way to me. Maybe rename the SBo package to gdk-pixbuf-1 or
gdk-pixbuf-legacy, and/or add a "This is the legacy gdk-pixbuf from Gtk+
1" type of statement to README + slack-desc?

Also... "grep pixbuf */*/README" shows only desktop/wmdrawer and
multimedia/LiVES actually require the gdk-pixbuf on SBo (graphics/gliv
mentions it in the README too, but it's talking about the 2.x version).

Maybe the maintainers of wmdrawer and LiVES could see if there's a way
to build against the 2.x version, and then the old one could just go away?

...addendum: wmdrawer's README says "This requires gdk-pixbuf", but during
the compile:

> gcc -Wall -O2 -fPIC `pkg-config --cflags gdk-pixbuf-xlib-2.0` -I/usr/include -DLINUX -DUSE_GDKPIXBUF2 -c utils.c

It's using the 2.0 one that's in Slackware already (I don't even have
the 1.x one installed). So, all it needs is a line removed from
its README...