[Slackbuilds-users] the .info file

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 01:12:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Grissiom <chaos.proton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM, JK Wood <joshuakwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The day SBo starts tracking dependencies is the day I fork the project...
>> Wait, I already forked the project...
>>
>> Okay, so the day SBo starts tracking dependencies is the day I stop
>> submitting SlackBuilds.
>>
>> --JK
>>

> Hi, don't be so hurry~;) I don't think the admins will accept this
> proposal(to add dependency lines in .info) simply because Slackware doesn't
> have it. Users always have an attempt to automate every thing(including me
> sometimes). But in my _own_ view, slackware's philosophy is `program is
> bullsh*t, manage them by yourself`.
> Actually, there is a place to tell user dependencies -- README. However,
> there is even no very-machine-friendly 'format' to declare that. IMHO, it
> force users to read them by their own before making any packages.
> Just my two cents. ;)
> --
> Cheers,
> Grissiom

Grissiom,

I agree... Users should be forced to read the README (and the man pages).
And punished if they don't :D

I catch myself sometimes wanting to automate everything. I *love*
writing scripts for repetitive tasks. But on the other hand, I do not
even use SboPkg, as I prefer to build all my packages by hand, so that
I know what is going on. And that is *exactly* how I feel about
dependency checking: If a package-manager starts managing all
dependencies, a lot of %#*! can happen. I don't want packages to be
installed without my consent, and I get nightmares if I think of
packages being removed because a package-manager thinks they are not
needed any longer.

So, summing it all up, I think it would not be wise to have a
"dependency-list" or anything of the kind in the .info file. Because
as soon as it goes in there, someone, somewhere, will write a script
to automatically install dependencies and users will blame SBo, the
SlackBuild maintainer, PatV, or even the Pope that his box stopped
working.

And that was my $0.02 ...

Niels