[Slackbuilds-users] the .info file

Slacker build user slacker at slaphappygeeks.com
Fri Feb 26 01:49:55 UTC 2010

Niels Horn wrote:
> Grissiom,
>
> I agree... Users should be forced to read the README (and the man pages).
> And punished if they don't :D
>
> I catch myself sometimes wanting to automate everything. I *love*
> writing scripts for repetitive tasks. But on the other hand, I do not
> even use SboPkg, as I prefer to build all my packages by hand, so that
> I know what is going on. And that is *exactly* how I feel about
> dependency checking: If a package-manager starts managing all
> dependencies, a lot of %#*! can happen. I don't want packages to be
> installed without my consent, and I get nightmares if I think of
> packages being removed because a package-manager thinks they are not
> needed any longer.
>
> So, summing it all up, I think it would not be wise to have a
> "dependency-list" or anything of the kind in the .info file. Because
> as soon as it goes in there, someone, somewhere, will write a script
> to automatically install dependencies and users will blame SBo, the
> SlackBuild maintainer, PatV, or even the Pope that his box stopped
> working.
>
> And that was my $0.02 ...
>
> Niels

Thanks Niels! That provides me with the definitive answer!

Like you, I prefer to do it myself. since going all-slackware/all-the-time I am
really in control of all my boxes now for the first time!

But I have been following this discussion and allowed myself the thought that
there would be nothing "wrong" with listing dependencies in the .info or even a
slack-required file... BUT NO:

 > as soon as it goes in there, someone, somewhere, will write a script
 > to automatically install dependencies and users will blame SBo, the
 > SlackBuild maintainer, PatV, or even the Pope that his box stopped
 > working.

... and you are exactly correct! As soon as it gains some "official" status it
will be used in a dozen different ways to "help" with dependency tracking and
importing and reconfiguring and decision making and patching and generally
screwing with the system!

So thank you for making up my mind on the subject! Keep SBo sane!

Robert