[Slackbuilds-users] A suggestion for the perl template

V'yacheslav Stetskevych slava18 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 08:44:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:52:42 +0300
> "V'yacheslav Stetskevych" <slava18 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Robby Workman
>> <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

>> > http://slackbuilds.org/gitweb/?p=templates.git;a=commit;h=e914440e0a2f6f2dcab0affb9c4eee425ce67e2c
>>
>> Wonderful. Now, I found a way to make it write mans to /usr/man too:
>> ./Build install \
>>   --install_path bindoc=/usr/man/man1 \
>>   --install_path libdoc=/usr/man/man3
>>
>> Please merge :-)
>>
>> Reference:
>> http://munin-monitoring.org/browser/trunk/Makefile?rev=3729
>>

> But does that also work with the other install methods?

Method #1 (Makefile.PL) specifies mandir with
    INSTALLVENDORMAN3DIR or
    INSTALLVENDORMAN1DIR
(the number can be changed to whatever sections one needs).
Example: http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/13.1/libraries/perl-Device-SerialPort/perl-Device-SerialPort.SlackBuild

Method #2 (Build.PL) specifies mandir with
    --install_path libdoc=/usr/man/man3 or
    --install_path bindoc=/usr/man/man1
Example: http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/13.1/libraries/perl-Date-Manip/perl-Date-Manip.SlackBuild

I suggest adding the lines
    --install_path bindoc=/usr/man/man1 \
    --install_path libdoc=/usr/man/man3
to the Method #2 in the perl template.
This avoids the need to move manpages manually from /usr/share/man
later on, like this slackbuild illustrates:
http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/13.1/libraries/perl-Test-Pod/perl-Test-Pod.SlackBuild

I hope I was clear.

Regards,
V'yacheslav.

--
If you think of MS-DOS as mono, and Windows as stereo,
then Linux is Dolby Digital and all the music is free...