[Slackbuilds-users] Problems building packages that use OpenGL when having NVIDIA driver installed

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 14:01:06 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I started building some packages on a new box lately, that has some
more processing power.

The problem I noticed that happens only on this box, is that packages
that use OpenGL functions (from the libGL library), crash while
building, with the following error (sometimes the error is a bit
hidden in a config.log):

"undefined reference to `_nv000008gl'"

A little Googling shows that this is a problem in the NVIDIA driver,
which I have installed in that particular box.

I have found two workarounds until now:

1) Build on another box, without the NVIDIA card

2) Switch back to the xorg drivers temporarily using "nvidia-switch
--xorg", build the package, switch back to NVIDIA using "nvidia-switch
--nvidia" (note: this of course only works if you installed the NVIDIA
drivers using the SlackBuild script, not directly with the binary
blob).

Both solutions will build a package that will work without problems on
the box with the NVIDIA card or any other graphics card.

Now for the questions:

1) Am I alone here or have other users experienced the same problem?
2) If this is a common problem, could / should this be mentioned in
the FAQ on SBo?

If it's just me, I'll hide back in my corner and promise to be quiet. :)

Thanks,

Niels Horn
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Brasil