[Slackbuilds-users] Suggestion for packages which require a startup file.

Luis Henrique F. Cardoso de Mello lmello.009 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 12:48:41 UTC 2010

On 06/20/2010 09:32 AM, Keith Richie wrote:
> Let's see -
> A single rc.blah file, and edit rc.local{shutdown}.
>   or
> A single rc.blah, with a link to init.d, then links from that linked
> link to different run levels, a K{ill} link to stop the script in the
> proper run levels, and a S{tart} link to start the script in the
> proper run levels, along with figuring out the K/S number to get the
> order correct.
>
> I'm not entirely sure which one is easier to manage, maintain, and update ;-)
>

> "Then why are there all of these /etc/rc.d/rc*.d directories?"
> To provide compatibility to those proprietary packages that like to
> unnecessarily complicate things. At least Virtual Box gets this right.

*BSD all the way ;-)

Proper documentation for the /etc/rc.d/rc.blah on the README file makes
up to the effort of editing, let's say, the rc.local file, which is by
far the 'safest' init script to mess around with. I vote for requiring
that when writing scripts for packages that work with some kind of
service started on boot you *must* copy specific start-up procedure
documentation to /usr/doc/package-name/README.SLACKWARE, if that's not
already the case.