[Slackbuilds-users] make -j -l

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 13:01:38 UTC 2010

Suggestion:

It would be nice if slackbuilds rummaged around in /proc/cpuinfo, figured
out how many cores are present and whether hyperthreading is supported, and
then set the -j option to make accordingly. It would also be good if they
took a value for the -j option as an argument (in an environment variable,
much as ARCH is handled). If just the latter were implemented and not the
former (because of the messiness of doing the former), that would be a
reasonable compromise, in my view.

I say this while suffering through a build of webkit on a little mini itx
box I recently built, with a dual-core Atom D510 with hyperthreading. Atoms
are slow (I use this machine because I care a lot about my personal energy
consumption; its silence and coolness is also a bonus), but this build would
have done quite awhile ago if the make had been done with -j 4 or -j 5 to
take advantage of the two cores and the hyperthreading. Sure, I could have
looked at the slackbuild and edited it myself, but multi-core machines are
common now, so why not support them by making parallel make a standard part
of slackbuild?

/Don