[Slackbuilds-users] deadbeef music player - unmaintained?

Max Miorim miorimmax at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 23:45:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at xsmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 of July 2010 00:43:36 David Woodfall wrote:
>> On (15:33 30/06/10), V'yacheslav Stetskevych <slava18 at gmail.com> put forth
> the proposition:
>> >Hi people,
>> >
>> >I've written mail to AlexGAV some 2 or 3 weeks ago about the state of
>> >the deadbeef slackbuild which is at 0.3.3 when the program is at 0.4.1
>> >already. Got no response. Does anyone want to take it? If not, I can
>> >submit an update myself. It's trivial, just bump the version and
>> >change the source to .tar.bz2 from .tar.gz.
>>
>> I've also emailed him about this. If I get no reply I will submit an
>> update.
>
> Speaking of deadbeef, does anyone else have unusually high CPU usage with it
> specifically on low end machines?
> For example i get very high usage of ~25% of both cores on my netbook.
> Pretty much the same happens with Qmmp.
>
> --
> Greg

That may be related to ALSA, specifically, the DMIX. By default, the
DMIX uses 48KHz sample rates and some applications that use lower
rates will have to resample the sound, which leads to he
aforementioned high CPU usage.

You can try either configuring your applications to use 48KHz sample
rates or modify your $HOME/.asoundrc so the DMIX uses a lower rate
such as 44KHz, like this:

pcm.swmixer {
    type dmix
     slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
         rate 44100
    }
}

The ALSA wiki has some more details, have a look at
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Dmix.

-- Max