[Slackbuilds-users] Patch proposal to remove bashisms from some scripts

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 07:50:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM, B Kirkpatrick <bkirkp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not want to start a flame war here, but I would like an explanation of
> why the large majority of Slackware users, those who have & use bash, have
> to write ash-compliant scripts for those who are using that shell. I know
> that it has been done that way forever, I know that ash is run during
> install, I know that it is run in BusyBox, but when the system is installed,
> why can't I write any bash-compliant code & not get "bashed" by other users?
> Regards,
> Bill

My personal feeling has always been that if the script begins with #!/bin/sh
then it should be written to work with _any_ Bourne-compatible shell. If you
want/need to use features specific to a particular implementation such as
Bash or Ksh, then state that explicitly in your shebang. If you're unsure,
put #!/bin/bash or whatever shell you tested in.

Demanding to use Bash-specific features in Bourne shell is like demanding a
garbage collector in C.