[Slackbuilds-users] Patch proposal to remove bashisms from some scripts

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 1 12:00:17 UTC 2010

>  Don't you think its a lot easier for you to remember to exec these
>  scripts with bash, than to get everybody else to change their scripts
>  to work with your symlink? :)

Technical measures are always better than "remembering". That's what
"#!/bin/bash" is for.

What follows is just a personal opinion. I try to write my scripts to
the highest standards. If I start with #!/bin/sh, and then I write a
bashism, then #!/bin/sh was a lie, and when someone points that out, I
am embarassed and grateful, especially when the fix is really, really
easy.  I'm not "everybody", but then, not everybody's script starts
with a lie.  Just three of mine :-/

-D.