[Slackbuilds-users] Creating a .desktop

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 00:58:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér
<mjjzf at syntaktisk.dk> wrote:
> Dear Slackers,
>
> I am writing a Slackbuild for TaskCoach. As it happens, it doesn't
> include a .desktop file.
> Is there a convention for how to do this? Is it acceptable if it is
> simply included in the Slackbuild folder?
>
> Yours,
> Morten

Hi,

It is acceptable and I have done it a few times.
Just add it to the .tar.gz and in the script copy it to /usr/share/applications/
Don't forget to add a doinst.sh with at least these lines:

if [ -x /usr/bin/update-desktop-database ]; then
  /usr/bin/update-desktop-database -q usr/share/applications >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

Regards,

Niels