[Slackbuilds-users] Patch proposal to remove bashisms from some scripts

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 30 10:58:08 UTC 2010

> Recently I have been tinkering with one of my boxes to use ash as
> /bin/sh and noticed that doing so some SlackBuilds aren't working as
> intended anymore.

I once did something similar with ksh, so I sympathise with your
intentions :-) and I'm rather shocked to be a three-strike offender
:-(

But I don't think the patch will work for grass.SlackBuild, which uses
arrays due to bash's brain-dead whitespace handling. It can't be made
to work in bash using only ash-compatible code, and most people will
have bash as /bin/sh.  SlackBuild.org policy is that a full Slackware
installation is required, and a full Slackware installation includes
bash, so perhaps the easy solution would be to use '#!/bin/bash' in
scripts that really need bash functionality?

But you're right that, in most cases, bash-specific code is trivially
easy to avoid, and therefore I'll take a bit more care to do that in
future.

I'll leave the question of whether this needs a mass patch at SBo to
the SBo admins.  If it doesn't, I'll quietly update my SlackBuilds the
next time they need revision for other reasons.

-D.

(cc trimmed, as presumably most people are subscribed to slackbuilds-users)