[Slackbuilds-users] [uzbl-dev] Problem downloading gzipped tar files

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon Apr 11 06:15:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:56:13 -0400
Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Robby --
> >
> > Below is a response from one of the uzbl developers to a message I
> > sent them, which unfortunately is truncated in his response. The
> > issue is that with the uzbl browser, which is built on top of
> > webkitgtk, when I download slackbuild tar files, they get
> > gunzipped, though the locally stored file is still named
> > foo.tar.gz. As mentioned below, I do not see this behavior when
> > downloading .tar.gz files from other sites, nor do I see it with
> > Firefox. His message explains all this, including asserting that
> > slackbuilds.org sending "Content-Encoding: gzip" is incorrect. If
> > you agree that this is an error (in my experience, the uzbl guys
> > know what they are talking about when it comes to browser matters,
> > web protocols, etc.), please put fixing this on your to-do list.
>
> I just did a bit of reading on this and it's pretty clear that he's
> right. "Content-Encoding: gzip" asks the browser to gunzip what the
> server sends. Whatever Firefox is doing is a heuristic, a hack to
> avoid uncompressing .tar.gz files even if the server says

That sounds right; the problem is that RemoveEncoding (which I'm
pretty sure works as expected on httpd-2.x) doesn't seem to do
what I think it should on apache-1.x.

Until/unless we either figure out the required magic, or upgrade
to a later release of Slackware (which probably won't happen
unless we get new hardware), wget or some other browser is my
recommended solution :-)

-RW