[Slackbuilds-users] nonstandard build scripts

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 02:40:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:33 PM, B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I've written a script called "drumkit2pkg" that turns a Hydrogen
> drumkit into a Slackware package...
>
> I've also written a slackbuild for a package called hydrogen-drumkits,
> that includes all the add-on kits available from the Hydrogen site. This
> slackbuild pretty much consists of one line (that runs drumkit2pkg). It
> doesn't look anything like a normal SBo script. The result is a noarch
> package with all the files in /usr/share/hydrogen (and /usr/doc).
>
> The only actual information contained in the build is in the DOWNLOAD=
> line in the .info file (about 20 URLs there). Someone who's just installed
> Hydrogen for the first time will probably do what I did: grab every
> drumkit they can find, to hear which ones sound good. Having a package
> in SBo would be convenient for them.
>
> Can I submit a script like that (with its own copy of drumkit2pkg
> included, since it's pretty small), or do I have to rewrite the thing
> using the SBo template?
>
> Whatever else I do, I *don't* want to break it up into 20-odd packages
> with one drumkit each. Probably nobody else wants that either...

There are several SlackBuild scripts in our repository for "data"
packages, or "additional options", like supertuxkart-extra-karts,
supertuxkart-extra-tracks, leocad_pieces, LDraw_data (the last two are
my own).
Nothing is really "built" by these scripts, but they put the data in
the correct location and set the correct permissions.

So, don't be afraid to submit :)

--
Niels Horn