[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia-kernel

emmel the_emmel at gmx.net
Sun Aug 28 08:17:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 09:10:57PM -0700, King Beowulf wrote:
> Submitted the nvidia-kernel 280.13 update and ran into a glitch: per this
> lists recommendation, I created /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf to
> automatically load the nvidia module if /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is empty and
> there is no xorg.conf.  The consensus was that anything in the latter
> locations will override 10-nvidia.conf. This was decided so that driver
> upgrades would not break any local customizations.
>
> However, the one setting that does not override is "Coolbits."  If I specify
> Coolbits in 10-nvidia.conf, I can adjust the fan speed (see below); if I
> leave it out, I cannot adjust the speed even though xorg.conf has the
> correct entries.  The device section in xorg.conf appears to be ignored if
> it also appear in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.  Deleting
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf restored the normal function of
> xorg.conf (and presumably xorg.conf.d)
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Device0"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>     BoardName      "GeForce GT 430"
>     Option         "Coolbits" "5"
> EndSection
>
> Recommendation: delete /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf if you need
> to use xorg.conf and/or xorg.conf.d otherwise you should be ok if you use
> nvidia-settings fro all adjustments.
>
> I'll send in a patch for the readme ASAP once I figure out how to say it in
> an concise and still accurate manner.

Well, you got it wrong. xorg.conf doesn't override
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf - it's
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf that does. The whole file gets
overridden. That's why the recommendation is to *copy* the
10-nvidia.conf over and edit it in the /etc hierarchy. On a different
note I should check out the Coolbits setting. Didn't know about that
one...
--
emmel <the_emmel at gmx.net>
GPG signed