[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia-kernel

emmel the_emmel at gmx.net
Mon Aug 29 08:11:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 02:35:30PM -0700, King Beowulf wrote:
> Hmmm.  From your and Robby's email to this list, my interpretation was that
> anything in /etc/X11/ will override /usr/share/X11, but maybe I understood
> that wrong?  Or is it just that /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d overrides
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d?  What I observe is that anything in
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d has priority.
>
> There seems to be conflicting information after googling about this.  The
> X.org docs seem to imply that /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is searched LAST so
> that word give it priority? Others say that /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is
> search first and so has lower priority?  Acccording to
> http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-April/006852.html
>
> In addition to the conf files found in /etc/X11 or $sysconfdir/X11 used
> for local administration, we also reserve a system directory for vendor
> and package usage. The simple search path is:
>
>     /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
>     $datadir/X11/xorg.conf.d
>
> Files from these directories will have the lowest config priority.
>
> So you can understand my confusion.

Well, the way I understand it and the way it seems to work for me is
that any files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d will get overridden by
files of the same name in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

> BTW, emmel, check the driver readme for a bunch of coolbits settings,
> depending on the card.  The fan one is nice as I can drop the decibels
> unless I am playing a game.

I checked it out. Though I have to have a look at the maximum allowed
die temperature for my card, before I toy with that. Melting my graphics
card is not in the plan for me.
--
emmel <the_emmel at gmx.net>
GPG signed