[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia issues with older cards - README notes might help

Phillip Warner pc_warner at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 2 15:40:04 UTC 2011

Around the time the nvidia sw versions started using libvdpau my video performance began declining.  I didn't take too much notice of it until the recent drivers caused my computer to regularly crash (w/ those IRQ nobody cared messages...)!
My card is a humble AGP 7600GS with which I am able to get around 98FPS on a Quake 3 demo benchmark.  The current drivers simply crash when benchmarking, and the new nouveau drivers net a whopping 25FPS!
The reason I bring all this up is because the nvidia-legacy173-driver slackbuild is really the one I need to use now.  The README says it is for GeForce5 which is why I avoided it in the past.  Yet looking on nvidia's site they show that both sw versions in SBo's SlackBuilds should work for me.  Maybe the PCIE version of my card is appropriate with the new drivers, but mine is certainly not.
Perhaps the READMEs can be changed to help people in the future if they run into issues as I did.  Clearly the legacy drivers are not only or GeForce5 series.
--phillip