[Slackbuilds-users] nvidia issues with older cards - README notes might help

Keith Richie disturbed1976 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 18:54:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Heinz Wiesinger <pprkut at liwjatan.at> wrote:
> On Saturday 02 July 2011 17:40:04 Phillip Warner wrote:
>
>> Around the time the nvidia sw versions started using libvdpau my video
>
>> performance began declining.  I didn't take too much notice of it until
>
>> the recent drivers caused my computer to regularly crash (w/ those IRQ
>
>> nobody cared messages...)! My card is a humble AGP 7600GS with which I am
>
>> able to get around 98FPS on a Quake 3 demo benchmark.  The current drivers
>
>> simply crash when benchmarking, and the new nouveau drivers net a whopping
>
>> 25FPS! The reason I bring all this up is because the
>
>> nvidia-legacy173-driver slackbuild is really the one I need to use now.
>
>>  The README says it is for GeForce5 which is why I avoided it in the past.
>
>>  Yet looking on nvidia's site they show that both sw versions in SBo's
>
>> SlackBuilds should work for me.  Maybe the PCIE version of my card is
>
>> appropriate with the new drivers, but mine is certainly not. Perhaps the
>
>> READMEs can be changed to help people in the future if they run into
>
>> issues as I did.  Clearly the legacy drivers are not only or GeForce5
>
>> series. --phillip
>
> They are indeed not *only* for Geforce 5, it's more that it's the only
> driver for Geforce 5 cards. However, while the legacy drivers should work,
> with some margin, for some newer cards as well, your card most definitely
> should still be supported fine by the most recent drivers. If there are
> issues you should bring them up at nvnews.net's forum, which is the
> semi-official feedback place for nvidia.
>
> Grs,
>
> Heinz

I have an AGP 6200 and PCIe 7300LE. Both of which work with the newest
driver. Along with an fx5500 AGP that needs the legacy driver.
Though there is no harm in using the legacy driver with GPUs that are
supported with the current driver.

I'd surely follow Heinz's advise, and post a description and attach an
nvidia bug report output at www.nvnews.net

Could be something as simple as needing to alter your xorg.conf to
include some AGP options.
I did have a 7600AGP card, however is was part of the failed batch
from EVGA that included faulty capacitors. I'd check the card for
blown/bulging caps to be on the safe side :)