[Slackbuilds-users] Corcern about sources' procedence

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 00:10:32 UTC 2011

On 06/09/2011 02:19 AM, Hac Er wrote:
> --------snip---------
> This has made me wonder how secure is in fact the SlackBuild software.
> Sure, 99.9% of contributors are honorable people with pure motivations
> who work to enchance the whole Slackware comunity, but Black Hats do
> exist too out there.
>
> ------------snip--------

There is no life without some risk.  As individuals we each have a
personal responsibility for our own safety.  One can hide under a rock
in fear, or, one can pay attention to what one is doing, be smart about
it, and try to minimize the risk.

A 99.9% confidence limit is plenty good enough for me as I am quite
capable of watching out for the 0.1% of black hats.

That does not mean I will sift through thousands of lines of code (can I
trust PV?) but rather be part of the Slackware community.  This
community is quite capable of weeding out the less desirable elements.

So how exactly would you expect a "black hat" to infiltrate
Slackware.com, Slackbuilds.org, linuxquestions.org, etc., and not be
noticed fairly quickly?