[Slackbuilds-users] How to get source hostet?

Eric Pratt eric.b.pratt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 09:23:15 UTC 2011

2011/6/27 Ozan Türkyılmaz <ozan.turkyilmaz at gmail.com>:
> 2011/6/27 Chris <chrisretusn at bluehome.net>:
>> Why not just add to the SlackBuilds script source checkout and tarball creation.
>
> That's a big NO-NO

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm really curious about why this is a NO-NO.

Since you can check out by date or revision number, you can get the
same revision for the slackbuild each time.  Of course, you could
check for the presence of the tarball first and if it's not there,
check out the revision.  If you have to check out, recursively remove
the .svn directories, tarball it, and take an MD5 sum of the tarball.
The slackbuild could read the .info file and compare the MD5 sum in
the .info file with the MD5 sum of the tarball you just created.  (Not
quite sure why MD5 validation code isn't already required in all
slackbuilds anyway.)  If you want this check to be optional, then
enable it via variable before running the slackbuild, like
MD5VERIFY="Yes" or something like that.

So we add a few lines to a pretty standard slackbuild to get the
tarball and MD5 sum.  Once that's done, we're back to standard
slackbuild territory.  This seems like a perfectly reasonable way to
handle this and avoids hosting home-brewed tarballs.

Eric