[Slackbuilds-users] How to get source hostet?

Eric Schultz eric at schultzter.ca
Tue Jun 28 13:40:34 UTC 2011

Here's my $0.02

From: Chris <chrisretusn at bluehome.net>
> To: "SlackBuilds.org Users List" <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>
> Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:31:15 +0800
> Subject: Re: [Slackbuilds-users] How to get source hostet?

> I suppose one could provide instructions on how to checkout the source and
> then make a tarball out of it. Even automate it with a script and add it as
> part of the Slackbuild tarball.

I would think this is the way to do it.  SlackBuilds should build the
package from a locally available source, pure and simple. What if you want
to recompile when a dependency changes, there's no need to checkout the
source again.

It would be very nice of you, though not absolutely necessary, to provide an
additional script that checks-out and tarballs the source.  But that script
would have additional dependencies not directly related to the package (ie.:
the source code control system and a network connection - neither of which
may be available on my system but that shouldn't stop me from building the
package).

Obviously it must be clearly stated that your download link identifies where
to get the source - not a direct link to a tarball. And there's a few extra
manual steps required (getting the source code, tarballing it, generating
the MD5SUM).

But that's just me!

<http://about.me/schultzter>