[Slackbuilds-users] [ANNOUNCE]: Slackware 13.37 rc1 and SBo

T3slider t3slider at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:12:18 UTC 2011

Bumping the version number for every package on SBo would be the
equivalent of doing `slackpkg clean-system` and recompiling each
third-party application from slackbuilds.org -- which would be the
standard advice for anyone having such troubles with multiple packages.
Otherwise, applications that may be ABI-compatible with dependencies
from Slackware 13.37 would need to maintain the same build number while
others that would require a recompile would need a bump. Determining
which ones would need this is too much effort in my opinion, especially
when you get into issues like an application breaking not because it
isn't ABI-compatible with Slackware packages, but because it isn't
ABI-compatible with an SBo dependency that breaks with new Slackware.

You can take your chances running old 13.1-compiled apps on 13.37 and
recompile those that are broken, or clean-system and rebuild them all
(`ls /var/log/packages/*_SBo` would get a list). Of course you would
need to build them in the right order which would involve reading
READMEs or using build queues. In the end, I don't think bumping
versions has *any* benefit that I can see and it's certainly more work
anyway.