[Slackbuilds-users] google-chrome

Yucatan "Kenjiro" Costa jedi.kenjiro at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 03:42:45 UTC 2011

Interesting...

Why would we possibly have a PAM dependent software in extra when we can
have one that doensn't depend on it? I am not here to say  PAM is worthless
or not. But since Slackware tradition is not to use PAM... ;)

Not to mention we can have google-chrome/chromium running without the need
of some other dependencies like Orbit2 or Gconf.

And...are we already rid of that 'jpeg upload' bug on this version of
google-chrome?

Please, I am not bashing the good work you guys (Adam, Erik and Patrick)
have done so far. I know you guys do what can be done and I aplaud you for
that.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Adam Young <atyrelyoung at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I awoke from my away time from the internet to discover google-chrome in
> extra, nearly the same SlackBuild we have been using for some time. There
> was also the addition of obviously needed dependencies that are not included
> in stock slackware, which Pat has generously provided in the chrome
> directory in /extra.
>
> I personally am a developer channel user, which for those unfamiliar is the
> next cycle development for chrome. The problem here is that in chrome 11.x
> PAM is now a dependency. Fortunately it doesn't need to be system wide, and
> as such I have attached a modified version of the SlackBuild now available
> in current, with the changes I have made to make my dev channel version
> work.
>
> Static building of the PAM lib is not the most elegant solution, but until
> upstream adds a switch ignore the need for PAM it would appear to be the
> only real solution. The main reason I bring this up, is because the move to
> chrome 11 code in chrome stable looms on the horizon, and will break the
> /extra SlackBuild.
>
> Pat, chrome slackbuild maintainers, and/or sbo admins feel free to
> use/modify as they see fit.
>
> Regards,
>
> atyoung

May the Force be with you!