[Slackbuilds-users] My SlackBuilds on -current.

Pierre Cazenave pwcazenave at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 20:24:25 UTC 2011

On 29/03/2011 21:13, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Pierre Cazenave wrote:
>
>> Since the script for R already exists, it's probably just a case
>> of bumping version numbers when a new release comes out and making
>> sure it still compiles.
>
> Piere,
>
> Doesn't this also require another system on which the release
> candidate version can be installed for testing? I have only my
> desktop server/workstation and my laptop.
>
> Rich _______________________________________________
> FAQ - http://slackbuilds.org/faq/

Generally you are only expected to maintain your scripts for the current
stable release of Slackware. At the moment, scripts at SlackBuilds.org
are only officially supported on 13.1. When 13.37 is released, everyone
will have to make sure their scripts work on 13.37, fix any that don't
(just updating to the most recent release of your program usually fixes
most problems), and then resubmit them. The SlackBuilds.org admins at do
do a lot of testing themselves when there's a new release of Slackware
on its way, but their time is limited and there are a lot of scripts.

I maintian 20 or so scripts. Cumulatively, it probably takes me a few
hours a month to check their up to date and fix those that aren't. I
occasionally get emails from people with suggestions or problems
building something, which is gratifying in some ways, as then I know
there's at least one other person using the script!

The easiest way to maintain scripts is to use a virtual machine (I use
VirtualBox) to have a clean installation of Slackware. The nice thing
about Slackware is that even if you're a bit short of horsepower, you
can be really quite stingy with the virtual machine's "hardware" and
still test your scripts. This way you can have a day-to-day installation
with all the software you want installed, and for testing your
SlackBuilds, you use the virtual machine so that you're not introducing
unnecessary complexity into the build process.

Pierre (can't believe I mistyped my name in my last email!)