[Slackbuilds-users] [FIX] Eclipse + xulrunner issue.

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Sun May 1 07:00:22 UTC 2011

Regarding this issue brought by Antonio on this list:

<snip>
There's an issue with Eclipse and it's internal web browser that cause
a fatal error with the Java VM. When you launch eclipse you may get a
message like these ones:

This one is from my system (slackware 13.0 + jdk 6u16 + firefox 3.6.3):
#
#
<snip>

I didn't opt for the rebuild of xulrunner, because when I checked, my
package was tagged 'alien', and I can't for the life of me remember why
I would have used the AlienBOB version (perhaps it had something to do
with my 'custom', offshore versions of ffmpeg, mplayer, etc. ;) ).

Anyway, I figured it would be best to leave those things alone since
there's so much multimedia stuff that depends upon Eric's offshore
packages, and that is prolly the reason I had that particular version
there. Like I said though, I don't recall.

Anyway, Antonio's other fix didn't do it, when I substituted lib64/ for lib/

Neither did removing seamonky and seamonkey-solibs, lke Leonardo said
worked for him on his box[es].

And I'm not having any issues at all w/RSSOwl at all, like Luis Henrique
and Dave Margell indicated was fixed when they did this:

<snip>
> -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=/usr/lib/seamonkey

just below the '-vmargs' line in the /usr/lib/RSSOwl/RSSOwl.ini file,
and then it never crashed again :)
</snip>

I'll keep that little ditty though, just in case I do begin experiencing
crash issues w/RSSOwl, but Erik Hanson indicated it might be a 32bit
only issue, and I'm running pure64 on this particular workstation.

What did work for me, however, was to:

<code>
# upgradepkg eclipse-3.6.1-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz%eclipse-3.6-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz
</code>

When eclipse 3.6.1 hit, I went and installed it as soon as I could, long
before the warning notice in the README for the Slackbuild. I even
submitted a bug report to Eclipse, and got one response, several months
later asking a couple of questions that led nowhere.

It seems they're clueless over at Eclipse to this bug, and my ticket is
still open after all these months.

Maybe when the next version is released their bug will be fixed?

For the time being, Eclipse 3.6.0 works fine, so my recommendation at
this time, for people running Slackware64, is to avoid installing 3.6.1
since this bug has not been addressed, and none of the kludges to fix it
seem to apply for 64bit OS.

I'd be interested in hearing other perspectives.

- --
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
NorthTech Computer