[Slackbuilds-users] cardinal.lizella.net - help needed :/

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri May 13 15:28:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011 03:56:05 -0400
Eric Pratt <eric.b.pratt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to setup a recurring donation through paypal or other
> means?  Even if we only get 20 people to donate $1/mo, that would be
> enough for a new machine every 5 years if $1200 remains enough to
> purchase a system.  With more people or bigger donations per person,
> it would enable you to do things like:
>
> - purchase spare parts to keep on hand
> - purchase a second server for a redundant fail-over scenario
> - purchase a longer warranty
>
> I would definitely commit to a small monthly donation for this
> purpose.  Even if we can't get 20 or more people, just a few would
> significantly defray costs later and I would still commit.  I just
> want to know that the donation is going to directly help
> slackware/slackbuilds and I'm good to go.
>
> If this is acceptable, what's the best way to do this?

Hrm...  On one hand, this idea *does* sound appealing, and it would
be nice to know that there's a small reserve fund in place for the
incidental crap that happens over the life of a server, but at the
same time, I just don't "feel right" doing that.  For the most part,
we really just don't need money under normal circumstances, and so
having it would create another time/effort deficit for somebody
(probably me).  I'd have to figure out a way to keep it separate
from my personal funds, and ethically, that's just not an option -
there's no way I could tolerate even accidentally spending money
for personal use if it were earmarked for cardinal/slackware.
Basically, this creates too many questions (or at least, it *could*
create them) about how the money is being used and so on, and I'd
really just rather not have to deal with that - I'd rather spend
my limited time doing things that provide value to the community,
and being a secretary/treasurer isn't among them.  See, there's
no question right now as to where the money will go and be used
for, and I like it that way.  Everybody knows that they are sending
money to buy a new server.  Once that is done, then we don't need
money any more.  For the routine maintenance and replacement that
happens over the years, at least one of the owners is (or has been)
always in a position to cover that when it happens.

Long story short, I don't think we want to do a long-term recurring
donation option.  If people want to do something like that, I think
it would be better to send that to the Slackware store  :-)

-RW

In summary, I'd rather have an identifi