[Slackbuilds-users] lapack

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:12:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:51 AM, markus reichelt <ml at mareichelt.com> wrote:
> * Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For me, it's no longer a problem; I got it built. My concern is
>> just that others might trip over this and waste time figuring out
>> what I already did.
>
> Folks using SBo should know about env variables and how to adapt
> them.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more strongly. The page on
slackbuilds.org says the version is 3.3.0. The info file says the
version is 3.3.0. The source is for 3.3.1, except there is no way to
find that out other than to run the slackbuild script, have it fail,
and then dig through the error messages to find out what went wrong.
That's not normal use of environment variables, that's debugging. I
already did that and am suggesting passing that information on to
others.

>> Maybe put a note on the page alerting people that the version has
>> changed, the slackbuild awaits updating,
>
> Too much of a hassle. And quite frankly, users should expect such
> minor inconveniences - life, it's out there.

Changing a web page is too much hassle to save some people some time
and aggravation?

> Also, there's several scripts on SBo that don't get updated just
> because of a new version.
>
> A bummer for sbopkg users but hardly a show-stopper for the rest of
> us.

You and I have different standards, apparently.