[Slackbuilds-users] Skype on x86_64

Mario mario at slackverse.org
Sat Sep 24 07:31:37 UTC 2011

On 09/23/2011 08:15 PM, /dev/ammo42 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just built Skype using the skype SlackBuild script on my x86_64
>> system, but the skype package is an i486 package.
>> Can I install this on my stock x86_64 system, or do I need to install
>> some sort of compatibility stuff first?
> The default Slackware64 installation doesn't include the multilib
> libraries necessary to run x86 programs.
> You need either:
> -A Slackware32 chroot
> -A set of multilib libraries, which you can get/build for example at
> http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/multilib/

And if you are going with the multilib option, heres a minimal list of
dependancies that skype needs:

These replace original packages (upgradepkg):
gcc
gcc-g++
glibc

And these you can just installpkg, they do not replace anything:
alsa-lib-compat32
expat-compat32
fontconfig-compat32
freetype-compat32
glib2-compat32
libICE-compat32
libSM-compat32
libX11-compat32
libXScrnSaver-compat32
libXau-compat32
libXdmcp-compat32
libXext-compat32
libXrender-compat32
libXv-compat32
libpng-compat32
libxcb-compat32
qt-compat32
util-linux-compat32
zlib-compat32

Sometimes people just need skype, but if you need to run other 32bit
only apps, full compat32 should be preffered.

Hope it helps,
mario

"The power to command frequently causes failure to think."