[Slackbuilds-users] Cannot Build OpenCASCADE

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 24 15:11:04 UTC 2011

   I'd like to use FreeCAD for 2D designs but I cannot build OpenCASCADE
(Slackware-13.1/32-bit running on an AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor
(dual-core) with 4G RAM. Because the build requires ~2.5G disk space and
/tmp has only ~2.6G free I changed the .SlackBuild to point to ~/workspace
which has > 100G free.

   The problem is that sometime during the build the system shuts down. This
happened twice yesterday afternoon when the outside temperature was about
81F (and about 88F here at my desk). I had this problem with building the
latest TeXLive which was resolved by running the build in the early morning
when the outside temperature is < 60F. Today, this did not work. At my desk
the temperature is ~74F (but < 60F outside).

   All I see in /var/log/messages is:

Sep 24 06:50:09 salmo -- MARK --
Sep 24 07:10:09 salmo -- MARK --
Sep 24 07:36:45 salmo syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

   So some time after 07:10:09 the system shut down.

   ~/workspace/package-OpenCASCADE/ shows 4.0K of disk space while
~/workspace/OpenCASCADE-6.5.1/ occupies 1.6G of disk space. df -h tells me
there currently is 154G available in /home.

   This seems to be a problem only with very large applications. I'd greatly
appreciate any insights on why this might be occurring and what, if
anything, I can do to build large applications any time.

TIA,

Rich