[Slackbuilds-users] Cannot Build OpenCASCADE

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 24 16:56:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, Ottavio wrote:

> But if you have 4G of ram you still have (4 - 1.7) G of ram available +
> swap. If you mount tmpfs on /tmp, /tmp will be located in ram + swap. Then
> you can change the .SlackBuild to point to /tmp.

   I have 8G swap space.

   Does it matter where .SlackBuild points?

> I have this line in /etc/fstab:
> tmpfs   /tmp   tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777   0   0
> You can take the "noatime" out of that line.

   What is the role of tmpfs during a SlackBuild? If there's sufficient disk
space is tmpfs used at all? I understand that it functions like a RAM disk,
but if there's ~6G RAM available for the build, and the swap space, why does
it crash the machine?

   I'm trying to understand so I can avoid the inconvenience of a reboot.

Thanks,

Rich