[Slackbuilds-users] REQUIRES info

Mikko Varri vmj at linuxbox.fi
Tue Aug 21 20:50:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 04:33:49PM -0400, xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2012 12:55:57 Mikko Varri wrote:
> >
> > It seems that the REQUIRES field contains a full list of direct and
> > indirect dependencies, optional and suggested packages, and then some.
> > And those in ASCII order (uppercase before lowercase), which is a
> > valid build order.

I meant to write "which is *rarely* a valid build order".

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 04:33:49PM -0400, xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2012 12:55:57 Mikko Varri wrote:
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >

> No that is not correct, It will only contain direct non optional
> dependencies. Optional dependencies will need to be listed in the
> README and stated what they enable. Maintainers can list the
> direct required dependencies in build order or not it is up to them.

OK, good.  I'm more happy with this than the full list.  I will
prepare an update for SlackBuilds that I maintain.  Pretty much all of
them have the REQUIRES field wrong in one way or another.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 04:33:49PM -0400, xgizzmo at slackbuilds.org wrote:

> Remember that in between releases master is our work in progress
> branch and should not be considered stable or final. We will
> summarize changes and new policies when the 14.0 branch is closer
> to a usable state.

I know.  In order to help one needs to know what's going on, though :)

-vmj