[Slackbuilds-users] question about packaging Perl modules

Glenn Becker burningc at SDF.ORG
Mon Dec 17 00:11:30 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone --

I recently submitted an updated SlackBuild for abcde, and included in
the README some text indicating that the included
'abcde-musicbrainz-tool' script would only work if a few Perl modules
(not available on SlackBuilds.org) were present.

I just finished submitting one of these modules (MusicBrainz::DiscID).
It has no non-Perl-core dependencies.

The other three modules, however, are in the WebService::MusicBrainz
namespace, and have a *lot* of non-core dependencies, many of which
appear to be absent from SlackBuilds.org.

I checked through a number of other Perl module SlackBuilds and the
dependencies for the ones I've looked at have been pretty minimal --
if indeed there are any non-core modules needed at all.

Following up all the dependencies on these WebService::MusicBrainz
modules would take a lot of time ... would it be worth it,
Slackware-wise, for me to start down such a path? Or would that be a
misuse of time, given that cpan and cpanplus and cpanm (and whatever
else) exist and allow anyone to install whatever they want?

Is there anything like a "Perl policy" for Slackware? I know Debian
has such a thing ...

Apologies for the rambling ...

/Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc at sdf.org