[Slackbuilds-users] Recommended Change to postfix.SlackBuild

Mario mario at slackverse.org
Wed Feb 8 23:37:32 UTC 2012

On 02/09/2012 12:11 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I recommend a change to postfix.SlackBuild to include cyrus SASL as well
> as dovecot SASL. The latter works only with smtpd while the former is
> required for smtp and needed by anyone who has to relay outgoing mail
> through an ISP's mail servers.
>
> After 15 years with a static IP address the telco providing the DSL line
> between here and our ISP changed us all to DHCP _and_ blocked outgoing port
> 25. This means that we need to relay outbound mail through our ISP. After a
> day-and-a-half of searching the Web and speaking with experienced network
> admins I figured out how to fix my mail service, incoming and outgoing.
> I'll
> share that here to explain how to add cyrus to the build script, and what
> change I needed to make to main.cf.
>
> In the SlackBuild script I changed to
>
> # Build with dovecot sasl by default, cyrus/dovecot are supported
> SASL=${SASL:-cyrus}
>
> and
>
> make makefiles \
> CCARGS="-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -DUSE_TLS $SASLARGS $DBARGS -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL" \
> AUXLIBS="-lssl -lcrypto $SASLLIBS $DBLIBS"
>
> In /etc/postfix/main.cf I had to set smtpd_sasl_auth_enable to no and
> comment out all other references to smtpd_sasl, then ensure that
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes, and the other smtp_sasl-related options were
> properly set.
>
> Rich

I fail to see the point of all this, if you need cyrus it should be
enough to just do, without any modifications:

SASL=cyrus ./postfix.SlackBuild

Alan included my patches for cyrus into postfix slackbuild some time
ago, and afaik it should work fine, I run the same on a few of my mail
servers. Altho I would have also preffered if he went with cyrus as a
default option, since it comes in stock slackware, he is also
maintaining a dovecot slackbuild, so I guess it is just easier for him.
Or do I completly fail to see what you are talking about? :-)

Best,
mario