[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: qemu and aqemu

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sun Feb 12 20:24:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 15:40:13 +0100
Matteo Bernardini <matteo.bernardini at gmail.com> wrote:

> sorry for the delay, but I was fiddling with the stuff :)
>
> trying to ease maintaining also for end users and to follow Robby's
> concerns, I've adapted the qemu slackbuild to build also qemu-kvm and
> make a single package (by default, but there's a switch to disable
> building it).
>
> it's an experiment I assembled very fast but seems to work on my
> machines.

After a small amount of tweaking, here's the result:
  http://slackbuilds.org/cgit/slackbuilds/log/?h=qemu-merged
(there are two commits, with fffd199a being the important one.

Another approach is this one:
  http://slackbuilds.org/cgit/slackbuilds/log/?h=qemu-kvm
(which has already been mentioned for review).

Given the options, I think I like the first one (qemu-merged)
better, BUT there's a very real potential to miss some files
that aren't included in the qemu package (see TODO: in the
build script), and who knows what kind of damned-near-impossible-
to-figure-out errors that would induce in qemu runtime :/

The second approach is not as "clean" as the first, but it's less
error-prone in the future probably.

In both cases, the qemu and qemu-kvm versions have to be in sync,
so that's an issue that we need to fix regardless...

All that said, perhaps there's another approach that I'm missing,
and if so, I'd like to hear it.  I'm obviously not in favor of
leaving things as they are, but other suggestions will certainly
be entertained...

-RW