[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: qemu and aqemu

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon Feb 13 03:26:55 UTC 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:15:41 -0700
Stu Miller <slackbuilds at ssmbox.net> wrote:

> IMHO our merge
> of the qemu-kvm SlackBuild into qemu SlackBuild is premature. It
> remains the intention of the KVM Team to discontinue qemu-kvm once
> qemu properly merges the code from kvm. The KVM Team doesn't believe
> they are there yet so why do we?

Well, in a round-a-bout way, that's why I'm wanting to do what
we're doing.  We're not merging the *code* - we're merging the
package.  Well, all we're doing now is talking and making some
proposals, trying to figure out the best way to do it, assuming
we do it at all...

> Stephan Hajnoczi: Should I use QEMU or KVM? [1] see
> the section: "What is the difference between qemu.git and
> qemu-kvm.git?"
> [1] http://blog.vmsplice.net/2011/03/should-i-use-qemu-or-kvm.html

See, that answer supposes that I want one or the other, but I want
to do both.  I have some x86 (virtual) machines [1] with which I
want the enhanced KVM usage (based on discussion in #qemu on freenode,
qemu-kvm has better KVM support than regular qemu using -enable-kvm
switch), AND I also have some ARM (virtual) machines [2] with which
I want to use regular qemu (based on same discussion, regular qemu is
better for non-KVM, as it gets fixes that the qemu-kvm people do not
(and should not) care about).

The point is that I want BOTH qemu and qemu-kvm code on my host.

> I recommend continued support of the qemu-kvm SlackBuild with focus on
> the x86 Intel, x86 AMD CPUs however the PowerPC and S390 CPUs should
> not be forgotten. All other qemu CPU emulation should be directed to
> the qemu SlackBuild until such time as the KVM Team says qemu-kvm is
> deprecated.
>
> Processor Support - KVM [2]
> [2] http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Processor_support
>
> It's a complicated issue. I hope I'm still tracking properly.

It *is* a bit complicated, which is why I started this thread in the
first place :)

The least intrusive suggestion, which would be fine with me too, is this:

1. Update qemu to version 1.0.
2. Fix (or whatever term we'd like to use) to make qemu-kvm rename the
   binary.
3. Fix all of (as needed) qemu, qemu-kvm, and kvm-kmod to:
   a. use correct CFLAGS when building
   b. use "users" group by default for KVM

I've got aqemu updated in my git repo, and I made the udev rules change
in kvm-kmod also.  Perhaps the best solution for now is to do these
three things and see what happens from there.

Andrew, mind if I bump qemu?

-RW