[Slackbuilds-users] Suggestion for qemu-kvm slackbuild

Stu Miller slackbuilds at ssmbox.net
Wed Feb 22 00:34:35 UTC 2012

On 18.02.2012 13:10, Adis Nezirovic wrote:

> Can we add the
following line to udev rules (fixup_udev_rules.patch):

+KERNEL=="vhost_net", GROUP="@GROUP@", MODE="0660"

> so that both,
/dev/kvm and /dev/vhost_net devices are group-owned by
@GROUP@)
> The defaults for /dev/vhost_net are root:root 600
>
> The
idea is that one can run qemu-system-x86_64 as ordinary user, and
> use
vhost_net acceleration using netdev syntax:

> -netdev
type=tap,ifname=tap0,id=guest0,script=no,downscript=no,vhost=on

-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=guest0,mac=XX:YY:XX:YY:XX:YY

> tap0
device is precreated in rc.bridge script (tunctl -g kvm -t tap0),
> so
nothing requires root privileges for running VM.

> Best regards,

Adis

Archives - http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/

FAQ - http://slackbuilds.org/faq/

I had some time over the weekend to
check out qdev and vhost_net and I like what I've found so far. I
reconfigured a non-critical, production KVM (slackware-13.37) to run
vhost_net and the network latency on pings is 50% of the non-vhost_net
KVMs. I'll keep the KVM running in this config and watch performance and
stability. So far I support this recommendation and will add it to the
next qemu-kvm SlackBuild if my KVM survives my soak test.

Thanks for
the suggestion!

Stu