[Slackbuilds-users] forking SBo

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:57:34 UTC 2012

I would rather not see a fork at all but see what the admins come up
with and work within that framework.  One of the drawbacks of F/OSS is
fragmentation and forks from every tom, dick and harry and various
fanboys having some fit because the admins don't work fast enough,
some pansy-ass disagreement or whatever. A fork can be a good idea
(e.g. Libreoffice) but in SBo's case - no.

Of course, we are all free to start our own repo, however, in terms of
SBo I'd like to see more consolidation, not more fragmentation.

Should a fork occur, I will adjust the licenses of my scripts to be
SBo specific.

-Ed

On 7/12/12, J <j at dawnrazor.net> wrote:
> Thanks for giving us a status update, Erik.
>
> Quoting Erik Hanson <erik at slackbuilds.org>:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 23:39:45 +1000
>> Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>>> What I'd like to try first is to submit one or two new SBo scripts
>>> with PREREQS added in and see what the reaction is.
>>
>> Please wait, we're not oblivious to this discussion. We have our own
>> going
>> on internally. We're mostly settled on doing something but it's not going
>> to happen overnight. Give us time to hammer out the details. Whatever
>> happens, it will coincide with the next release of Slackware.
>>

>> --
>> Erik Hanson

Sent from my mobile device

You! What PLANET is this!
	-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0