[Slackbuilds-users] Concerning: [slackware-security] pidgin (SSA:2012-195-02)

T3slider t3slider at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 22:28:35 UTC 2012

I personally keep any packages built by SBo SlackBuilds up to date with
the version hosted on slackbuilds.org (sbopkg makes this easy). If there
is reason not to for a specific application, then it is my job to make
sure it is patched. Other than that, SBo relies on its maintainers for
security updates (and version updates), and while I have a quick bash
script that lists the packages submitted to pending/approved that I
currently have installed (meaning there is an update waiting), I
generally depend on the maintainers to keep SlackBuilds up to date. My
opinion is that, if you are worried about security, you should keep up
with the latest package versions from SBo and if you're paranoid then
you can check versions submitted to pending/approved in case there is a
long wait before updates are pushed public. There should probably be a
bigger focus on pushing security updates public (from pending/approved)
versus simple version bumps, but that would be up to the admins I
suppose. If even that is not enough (if you're worried that maintainers
are falling behind) then you'd have to follow everything upstream, but
obviously there's not much SBo could do about that.

I find that the "Updates" e-mails on this list are sufficient for me to
go through and sbopkg makes identifying any updates to installed
packages easy enough for me to check. Of course, I wouldn't object to a
Slackbuilds-security mailing list or some such thing but I'm not sure it
would really be very effective given the current distribution of labour,
which relies heavily on the maintainers (who currently have low
accountability).

-T3slider