[Slackbuilds-users] SlackBuilds for Humble Bundle games

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 20:51:04 UTC 2012

I don't see it as a show stopper that the admins can't test the
slackbuilds for commercial/proprietary software.  In this case, the
Humble Bundles are DRM and some of the purchase price goes to EFF, for
example. As long as the maintainer stands by his work...

BTW, I was the one who.  brought this up on LQ, just thought is was
worthy of a discussion. I'd like SBo to be a centralized repository
for all 3rd party stuff, not just F/OSS or free-to-use software.

Ed

On 6/7/12, Dimitris Tsagkatakis <dtsagka at otenet.gr> wrote:
>> The potential problem I see here is (un)availability of source (or
>> binary in this case) tarballs to everybody, and that includes SBo admins
>> wanting to test your build scripts against those tarballs.  If these
>> games can be downloaded freely and only require some sort of activation
>> to play, then the fact that they're commercial software shouldn't be an
>> issue.  I believe SBo already contains SlackBuilds for this sort of
>> software, although I don't have any examples to point you at.
>>
>> --
>> Audrius Kažukauskas
>
> I'm afraid that sounds very reasonable. The vast majority are closed source
> AND are not free as in 'free beer'. So the admins won't be able to test
> these unless they have a legal copy of each game.

Sent from my mobile device

You! What PLANET is this!
	-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0