[Slackbuilds-users] Submitting a slackbuild

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér mjjzf at syntaktisk.dk
Sat Jun 9 14:06:16 UTC 2012

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 08:09:46 -0400
Alan Hicks <alan at lizella.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 12:57:59 +0100
> Martin <mherda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What's a recommended course of actions when one of the slackbuilds
> > hasn't been updated for a long time and builds a rather outdated
> > program. Shall I submit an updated SlackBuild script or try to
> > contact the maintainer first?
> You should contact the maintainer first. Sometimes you'll find that
> it's been largely abandoned and sometimes you'll find the maintainer
> just doesn't bother with tracking every minor version number (I fall
> into the latter category).

I had some complains about a build I had a while back which I did not
update - but the Slackware version of the libraries did not allow a
newer version to be built. Since we are always tracking the latest
stable Slackware release, it would not work to update.
Often the maintainer knows something one does not think of.

Actually, SBo admins: Would it be possible to submit a patch to the
Slackbuild which was simply a modification of the README to indicate
that an application is not updated until next Slackware release,
because newer releases of the application will not work with Slackware
at the moment?

All the best,
Morten