[Slackbuilds-users] Feature request

Petar Petrov ppetrov at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Nov 14 09:10:07 UTC 2012

Quoting Ivan Zaigralin <melikamp at melikamp.com>:

> How about a variable in .info which identifies the type of license(s) used
> in the package to be built? Something like
>
> LICENSE="free"|"non-free"
>
> or
>
> FREE_SOFTWARE="true"|"false"
>
> where "free" would indicate that the package only contains free software.
> The inclusion of this variable can be made optional.
>
> This will be transparent to those who want to keep using Slackbuilds the
> same way as before, but it will also provide utility to everyone. With
> only a modest effort from each maintainer, every user will be able to quickly
> check the license type of a package without chasing down the
> sources. Moreover,
> automated license management will become possible.

Hi

License management? Do we really need this? Isn't this going to make
things more complicated, unnecessarily? I may sound lazy and selfish,
but I do not want to have to check a yet another thing before i submit
a SlackBuild. If some software requires registration or has something
"special" about it's license, couldn't this be listed in the README?

-petar