[Slackbuilds-users] .info Feature Requests

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Thu Nov 15 05:01:36 UTC 2012

I'm basically on hiatus right now until we finish home construction,
but I feel the need to disseminate a totally non-binding yet strong
opinion about feature requests for the .info files:

Off is the general direction in which you can fuck.

In our internal discussions about adding REQUIRES, one of the most
frequent concerns was "feature creep," i.e. "if we do that, then
people are going to want $whatever."  Seriously - just stop.  Sure,
a lot of things would be nice to have - there's no technical reason
that licensing and optional dependencies and ErdösNumbers of the
upstream authors and $DEITY knows what else, but unless you have a
REALLY REALLY REALLY convincing case as to why it's superior to
what we have now, refer back to the second (one sentence) paragraph.

That is all.

-RW