[Slackbuilds-users] wxmacmolplt & wxPython

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 19:42:00 UTC 2012

On 10/3/12, Daniil Bratashov <dn2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that MacMolPlt should be using wxGTK, not wxPython as
> dependency. May be I don't understand something why it was replaced.

As I understand it, wxPython includes wxGTK. Anything that uses wxGTK can
use either... but wxPython and wxGTK conflict, so you can only install
one or the other. I haven't seen any disadvantage to using wxPython
(I just ignore the existence of wxGTK).

Maybe the two builds should be merged? I'm not maintainer of either one,
I don't know them in detail, maybe there's a good reason to keep two
separate builds? Or possibly the wxPython build could be modified so it
only builds the Python-specific stuff, and depends on wxGTK itself? (No
idea if this is possible)

Before REQUIRES, it didn't matter. The README for a wx*-using build could
just state "This requires either wxPython or wxGTK". With the new .info
file format, either/or isn't allowed, every build has to choose only one.
If application foo requires wxGTK, and application bar requires wxPython,
then it won't be possible for a hypothetical depend-resolving version of
sbopkg to cleanly install both foo and bar on the same system... seems
like a problem.