[Slackbuilds-users] Project to provide yeahconsole for SBo

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:46:32 UTC 2012

On 10/22/12, e201 <e20100633 at inbox.lv> wrote:

> The problem is that yeahconsole doesn't provide a man page in the
> sources (latest here[2]). But, I know that there is one written by
> Damián Viano for the Debian system (according to the man itself under
> Debian). So what should I do?  Because I think a manpage is important,
> isn't it?  Should I add this man page retrieved from the debian package
> ou shouldn't I?

I've done this with lots of builds. Generally I include the man page in
the SlackBuild tarball, not gzipped, and the SlackBuild does this:

# man page borrowed from Debian
mkdir -p $PKG/usr/man/man1
gzip -9c < $CWD/$PRGNAM.1 > $PKG/usr/man/man1/$PRGNAM.1.gz

...usually right above the "mkdir -p $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION"
paragraph.

If the man page has typos or errors, and if you correct them, and add a
line under AUTHORS saying "Modified by <yourname> for the SlackBuilds.org
project" or similar. Some man pages will mention Debian-specific things
(like "See the documentation in /usr/share/doc/<progname>", which you
should change to /usr/doc/<progname>-<version>, for instance).

I wouldn't bother adding anything to README about the man page (it's
a detail that's not really interesting enough to have it appear on the
web site, IMO).

Hope this helps.